SRG Allotment Garden Council
Each year throughout the growing season (April to October) a dedicated group of allotment gardeners sit on this council to assist in the management of the 90+ plot allotment garden. The circular design of the garden has been divided into pods.
See pod plan here: Plot Plan Map.
Under the auspices of the Sooke Region Food CHI Society, the sponsoring body for the Sunriver Community Gardens, this council serves as a standing committee for Food CHI’s Board.
The primary purpose of the garden council is to:
- ensure the gardens are well maintained and cared for
- invites representation from other garden user groups
- undertakes the annual registration and renewals of all allotment garden plots
- keeps a wait list and responds to all enquiries re “I want a plot at the SRG!”
- manages the allotment garden annual budget
- collects the annual plot fees for Sooke Food CHI
- Recruits volunteers to assist in specific tasks – e.g. repairs, broken tools, composting, and water irrigation issues.
- reviews parking lot challenges , recommends solutions
- seeks reps from the 6 different pods to help us build garden neighbourhoods and a healthy engaging community garden
- ensures the garden council acts in an inclusive way – open meetings
- shares minutes and posts next meeting dates on line
- reviews the SRG rules and regulations annually to ensure the garden operation serves all members and is seen as administratively fair
All members of the SRG allotment garden are welcome to attend meetings and participate as non-voting members.