Youth at SRG– Building CommunityThis past spring we saw a lot of activity at SRG involving 4 classes from Edward Milne Community School. Beginning in March right through to mid-June, before the teachers’ strike, we had many students participating in special projects.
Over 3 months up to 80 different teens came to help with:
- putting in the shade raft for the trout at the pond
- creating level sites and foundations for the harvest shed, root cellar, Childrens’ Garden Club shed and new orchard tool shed
- building the two new sheds – with cedar siding and split cedar shakes
- assisting with the installation and placement of the aluminum harvest shed
- digging new drains and waterline trench for harvest shed and harvest sink wash stand by storage shed
- making a lean-to roof for the harvest sinks
- creating new gravel path connecting cob oven area to Food CHI greenhouse
- helping Paula’s Grow a Row crew bring in enhanced soils (compost, manures, Charter Creek reservoir silt& mulch) for new community veggie beds.
All of these activities for new structures were supported and funded by the District of Sooke, Sooke Marine Industries, Sooke Rotary Club, Victoria Parks and Recreation Foundation, Sooke Food CHI and Edward Milne Community School.