SRG Allotment Garden Council
Each year throughout the growing season (April to October) a dedicated group of allotment gardeners sit on this council to assist in the management of the 90+ plot allotment garden. The circular design of the garden has been divided into pods.
See pod plan here: Plot Plan Map
Under the auspices of the Sooke Region Food CHI Society, the sponsoring body for the Sunriver Community Gardens, this council serves as a standing committee for Food CHI’s Board.
The primary purpose of the garden council is to:
• ensure the gardens are well maintained and cared for
• invites representation from other garden user groups
• undertakes the annual registration and renewals of all allotment garden plots
• keeps a wait list and responds to all enquiries re “I want a plot at the SRG!”
• manages the allotment garden annual budget
• collects the annual plot fees for Sooke Food CHI
• Recruits volunteers to assist in specific tasks – e.g. repairs, broken tools,
composting, and water irrigation issues.
• reviews parking lot challenges , recommends solutions
• seeks reps from the 6 different pods to help us build garden neighbourhoods
and a healthy engaging community garden
• ensures the garden council acts in an inclusive way – open meetings
• shares minutes and posts next meeting dates on line
• reviews the SRG rules and regulations annually to ensure the garden operation
serves all members and is seen as administratively fair
Acting co-chairs – Phoebe Dunbar and Janet Renfroe
Recorder – appointed at each meeting
Pod reps – volunteer each year, two from each pod.
Plot registrar – Patricia Whiteley, manages the registration and allotment fees
Treasurer – Patricia Whiteley
Communications – Janet & Dave Renfroe, manages Sookesrg@gmail.com to centralize SRG communications by distributing SRG notices, meeting notifications and newsletters.
Non-voting members – Food CHI liaison director Phoebe Dunbar and Grow a Row coordinator Paula McCormick
All members of the SRG allotment garden are welcome to attend meetings and participate as non-voting members.