Farm & Night Gala in Collaboration with Awareness Film Night
Wednesday April 12
Doors at 6:30, film at 7:45
EMCS Theatre, admission by donation
The evening will feature the film SEED: The Untold Story 96% of the vegetable seeds available in 1903 have disappeared according to a National Geographic article that inspired this well-paced, comprehensive and beautifully-filmed documentary. Few things on Earth are as vital as seeds, yet seed diversity is crucial to prevent the collapse of our world-wide food systems and ecologies. This film follows passionate seed keepers protecting our 12,000 year-old food legacy taking moviegoers around the world to meet farmers, scientists, seed savers, educators, lawyers and indigenous communities who are waking up to the need to save local, acclimated, not genetically modified seeds.
Vendors will be selling local seeds, plants, first-of-the-season produce and other products created from locally harvested ingredients. There will be information tables from regional non-profits concerned with land, growing and sustainability and The EMCS Culinary Arts students will be preparing healthy cookies (by donation) to go with freshly-brewed local herb teas. Gift baskets will be filled with items donated by the vendors.
Past annual Farm & Film Gala Evenings have included
- 2016 – Nourish, feature film tracing our relationship to food from a global perspective to personal action steps.
- 2015 – Just Eat It, feature film on food waste followed by with a panel on food waste in Sooke.
- 2014 – Preserving Farmland, short films and speaker panel.
- 2013 – Outstanding in Her Field, short 1995 film on women in agriculture with a panel on contemporary issues for women in agriculture.
- 2012 – To Make a Farm, feature film exploring the lives of five young people entering small-scale agriculture, with a panel on new farmers in Sooke.